One of the memories I have of my grandmother revolves around cream of mushroom soup. I can remember many rainy days with that can of condensed soup, thinned out with water and heated on the stove top. Something about it takes me to that nostalgic place of comfort. Actually, both sides of my family enjoyed many dishes with this creamy wonder mixed in to the pot.
Fast forward quite a few years, most of my elders have passed away and I still enjoy my memories. Most recently I’ve been thinking about Cream of Mushroom Soup. Since my body no longer tolerates dairy and I’m primarily gluten-free for health reasons, I had to adapt. Not to mention the fact that I do not eat anything from a can, I prefer preparing my meals from scratch.
I happened to be talking to a friend of mine recently and told her of my desire to make Cream of Mushroom soup, but not sure what to use as the dairy substitute. She recommended cashew cream as her daughter made a vegan dish using it and my friend said it was fantastic. I decided to try out cashew cream even though I had not worked with it before.
I looked all over my local market and found an organic cashew milk that I thought would work. I thought about what I wanted in the soup and decided to make it simple. I purchased all the ingredients and began the creative journey.
The process took a little more than an hour and it was worth it. My first try at home made Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup came out better than I anticipated. It’s 100% gluten-free, vegan and absolutely delicious. I was initially hesitant around cashew milk, I did not think it could measure up to the creaminess that traditional dairy offers. It exceeded my expectations.
The cashew milk actually had a very similar texture as regular creams. Furthermore, it did not overpower the mushroom flavor. The mushrooms were the star of this dish and the seasoning complimented the flavor. This Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup warmed my heart and belly.
Though it’s not the cream of mushroom soup I grew up with, the taste is definitely on point. I can still taste the earthy mushroom flavor with the hint of sage.
Eating this Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup brought me much joy. I pray it does the same for you.
Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 10-13 crimini mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour (I use gluten-free)
- 3 cups cashew milk
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 pinch dried sage
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large stockpot and turn the heat to medium. Chop the onion and add into the stockpot, stir to coat the onions with olive oil. While the onions are cooking, slice the mushrooms lengthwise, add them to the onions and stir. Let cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the onions and mushrooms cook, prepare the roux. Place the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a small saucepan and turn the burner to medium low. Add the flour to the oil and whisk. Keep stirring until the roux is dark brown. This will take approximately 7 minutes. Turn off the burner and add a cup of warm water to the roux. Stir until completely mixed.
- Return to your onions and mushrooms and while stirring, pour the roux with water into the large stockpot. Then immediately mix in the cashew milk and continue to stir. Mince the garlic, then add it to the soup. Lastly, add in your sea salt, pepper and sage, stir and turn down the heat to low. Let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove your soup from the burner and let sit covered until you're ready to eat. Serve and enjoy.